OAT Tool Tracking
One of the most labor-intensive processes in manufacturing is tracking indirect materials, particularly tools, production tooling and specialized equipment. For companies with highly specialized tooling, such as Aerospace and Heavy Equipment Manufacturers, Defense Contractors, MROs and Airlines, tool tracking has a greater impact on operational costs.
RFID automates and error-proofs tool tracking processes, resulting in:
- Increased Manufacturing Tool Utilization
- Improved Inventory Accuracy in Tool Stores
- Automated Tracking of Tool Maintenance and Calibration
- Prevention of Foreign Object Debris (FOD)
|A Defense Contractor real-time enabled their Costpoint® system with OAT software to track and improve the utilization of specialized tools in multiple manufacturing facilities.|
Where Does RFID-enabled Tool Tracking Provide the Most Benefit?
The table below describes the most common tool tracking scenarios, by industry and functional area.
|OAT enabled an Aerospace OEM to automate the control, calibration and maintenance of production tooling, resulting in higher productivity and lower overall tooling costs.|
Why Track Tools and Tooling along with Work-in-Process?
The cost of a lost tool can be extraordinarily high. Given that tools and specialized equipment are commonly custom-made, hard to source and expensive to replace, a lost tool can have more impact on a production schedule than a missing component part. In Aerospace and Defense manufacturing tools used to assemble and maintain aircraft, if left behind, can compromise safety.
How Does RFID Real-Time Enable My Current Tool Tracking Processes?
The diagram below illustrates a check-out process from a tool store, updating enterprise systems and providing alerts when user intervention is required.
OAT Tool Tracking Enables:
- Inventory Accuracy: Real-time status of tool location & maintenance status
- Process Improvement: Instant alerts drive proactive maintenance and sourcing
- Integration: Built-in interfaces for ERP, Program Management, WMS, Asset Management and MRO systems.
- Device Independence: Flexible configuration can incorporate mixed environments with barcode, RFID, RTLS and other sensors
OAT SOLUTIONS SUPPORT:
Barcode - Passive RFID - Active RFID - Ultra Wide Band RF (UWB) - Wi-Fi - RTLS - RFID-enhanced EAS - Location Servers - GPS - Application Sensors (e.g. Stack Lights, PLCs, alarms...)
|7 Reasons to Automate Tool Tracking with RFID & RTLS Download Here|
Real-time Visibility for SAP in Aerospace & Defense